A Regional Telecommunications Independent Review Committee (the Committee) is established every three years under Part 9B of the Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999 to conduct a review into telecommunications services in regional, rural and remote parts of Australia.
The Committee for the 2021 Regional Telecommunications Review (the Review) was appointed on 1 June 2021. The 2021 Committee is comprised of the Hon Luke Hartsuyker (Chair), Ms Kristy Sparrow, Professor Hugh Bradlow, Mr Michael Cosgrave and Ms Sue Middleton.
As part of the Review, the Committee will consider:
• the impact of Government policies and programs to improve regional connectivity and digital inclusion;
• insights from COVID-19 on the changing digital needs of regional, rural and remote areas;
• service reliability issues which impact regional communities and options for mitigating them;
• the role of emerging technologies in delivering telecommunications services in regional Australia;
• ways of encouraging further investment in regional telecommunications;
• the role of telecommunications in supporting broader regional development goals;
• ways to improve co-ordination between government and industry in telecommunications investment; and
• consumer awareness and education regarding telecommunications options in regional areas.
The Committee invites regional communities, businesses and governments to engage directly with the Review over the coming months through face-to-face consultations, written submissions and online forums. The Committee will report to the Minister for Regionalisation, Regional Communications and Regional Education by 31 December 2021. The Committee may make recommendations to Government. Where it does so, it should consider the costs and benefits.
The issues paper, including Terms of Reference, can be found at https://www.communications.gov.au/sites/default/files/consultation/pdf/regional-telecommunications-review-2021-issues-paper.pdf
Feedback can be provided to the Vin at the Shire by 13 September or directly to the Committee by 30 September via:
• webform: www.communications.gov.au/have-your-say
• email: email@example.com
• post: 2021 Regional Telecommunications Review Secretariat Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications GPO Box 594 CANBERRA ACT 2601.
Due to recent heavy rains, Bodycoat Road in Carnamah has been significantly damaged; leading to closure of the road until...Read more